Smart Home Systems is the company name. I got an email offering an interesting position. Let me give you some specifics.
- Location: for United States residents only; no relocation required
- Salary/Wage: we have a salary range of USD 32,000 to USD 55,000/plus per year
- Job Status: Full Time/Part Time/Temporary/Contract
- Job Category: Customer Service
What We Offer:
- Supportive working environment in a dynamic, successful company
- Freedom to be creative, and the satisfaction of personal responsibility
- Strategic employee career development
- Individual continuing education and training opportunities
- Performance-based salary structures
Based upon the above information, I responded that I might be interested. They sent back an application form, with the following information header:
Phone: +41 (44) 58 62 353
Fax: +41 (44) 73 26 957
What’s Wrong With This Picture?
- The domain contact and address is private.
- The company identified as the Current Registrar is COMMUNIGAL COMMUNICATIONS LTD of CHINA-SHANGHAI.
Now I’m totally confused. If the company has a headquarters in Switzerland, how come the US website is registered to a Chinese company, with a different name? How come all the address information is confidential?
But the mystery doesn’t end there. I did have a US number and I contacted a female, who spoke with a foreign accent. She said the company had a US office in New York. However – the company name for China, Switzerland and the US, are totally different.
I performed a search on the Better Business Bureau, for the US site. This is what I discovered at bbb.org/new-yor…. The company has no ratings and had 4 complaints against them, which have been closed. The company is not rated by the BBB.
Finally, I decided to contact the Swiss consulate regarding the offer. You see, they don’t ask for anything on the employment form, except for 3 references. Excuse me? Isn’t employment a more comprehensive process on both sides? I did get the English-speaking business section, of the Swiss consulate in Chicago. Then I forwarded the email and application to them. I need to follow up and see if they discovered anything.
What do you make of this mystery, dear readers?
Should I consult Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, Adrian Monk, or Detective Columbo? Is this a ploy for a foreign government to kidnap me? Is this some prelude to an alien invasion? If you have any Intel on this company, please share it with me.
P.S. Here is the 1 hour video presentation on “Twitter for Small Business at twitterforsmall…. This is similar to the audio presentation from the last blog. Please note they only pitch stuff the last 10 minutes.