But first, a plug for my favorite radio station – straight from the College of DuPage. Go to the website at http://www.wdcb.org/ and click on “listen live streaming radio.” You can hear different music formats like Jazz, Reggie, Blues, Celtic, Folk, Bluegrass, New Age, and “just about anything in between.
Do you have any favorite movies? Let’s look at some of my favorite classics.
A Christmas Story
You’re familiar with the little kid? His goal in life is a Red Rider BB gun. But everyone says, “you shoot your eye out, kid.” I could never understand that line. But this movie is very funny. Let me share a couple of my favorite moments.
- Remember the father’s favorite lamp? It’s a naked lady top with a one leg base – ugliest thing I’ve ever seen.
- My God, that’s funny. Remember when they went to the Chinese restaurant for Christmas eve dinner? The restaurant staff sings some Christmas or New Year’s song – they butcher it.
The kid finally got his BB gun. I will say one thing about this kid. He will probably be a very successful business man. The kid’s determined…I’ll give him credit.
Imagine teaching a 10th grade literature class. Let’s make it more difficult. Place the class within the tropics – Liberia, West Africa – to be precise. Then have them read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Ready for the trick question? What is snow?
Do you see the dilemma? No? Explain snow to those who never seen it!
Which TV or movie version do you like? I love the ones with George Scott and Patrick Stewart. If you’re lucky – if you can find them – there’s some great versions a few decades back.
All of Charles Dicken’s stuff is great.
It’s a Wonderful Life
You know what I miss? Before Time Warner bought the movie rights, this movie was in the “public domain.” Many different variations would play. One would start at 6 PM on channel 2…7 PM on channel 5…7:30 PM on channel 7…blah, blah, blah. If I miss past on one station, I could turn stations. It’s like having fast forward and backwards in real time.
My mom’s take? Jimmy Steward speaks like he has a mouth full of XXX. Get the picture?
But I really love this story. What a wonderful philosophical question it poses. What would the world be like if you were never born?
Christmas in VOIP land – it’s briefly broken
I’ve love these combos:
- Grandstream Budgetone 201 phone + Google Voice + Gizmo5
- Ipevo Skype Solo S0-10 phone + Skype
I have set up the Grand Stream Budgetone 201, according to the directions at germinalcenter….. For 2 months, I could call this phone from Google Voice. For part of a day, it stopped working.
- I can call 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX with it and get the Gizmo5 echo number, saying I’m successfully connected to Gizmo5.
- I can also call other numbers from the phone, using my Gizmo5 credit.
- Google Voice rings the soft phone Gizmo5 version.
What happened? Later that day, everything is working properly. Gremlins in the Google/Gizmo5 integration tests?
YouTube Holiday Goodies
- All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth (YouTube) youtube.com/wat…
- I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas (YouTube) youtube.com/wat…
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer by Dr. Elmo (YouTube) youtube.com/wat…
- Little Drummer Boy …YouTube animation youtube.com/wat…
- Porky Pig- Blue Christmas (YouTube) youtube.com/wat…
- Joe Diffie : Leroy the Redneck Reindeer (Video) cmt.com/videos/…
- 12 Days of Christmas (YouTube…NOT what you expect) youtube.com/wat…
- The Muppets Join Jimmy Fallon For “The 12 Days Of Christmas” (VIDEO) huffingtonpost….
- The Muppets: “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen (YouTube) youtube.com/watch…