Released April 14th by Skype for Mac users and gone today.
Skype announcement by reporters:
That is a big bug!
Two things I want to focus on:
- This is disinformation to Mac users
- This also shows Skype perseverance.
This hacking was simple, rendered the Mac user completely helpless and started with a message sent on Skype. The problem was discovered months ago but never made public with an official Skype announcement. But once reported in mid-March by Pure Hackers he received the automatic Skype announcement, “Thank you for showing an interest in Skype security, we are aware of this issue and will be addressing it in the next hotfix.”
Today, there is no hotfix for Mac users. Skype has released a new version 5.1 for Mac users. And there have been no reports of the extremely dangerous attack being performed in practice. So is Skype in the clear… hardly. With this internet security news, you can bet more attacks will happen.
From Detroit to El Paso Disinformation
According to a computer software developer in Livonia, MI, “ I knew about the Mac problems with Skype months ago! We reported the problem and disconnected all Mac computers from the network.” Detroit area has a strong Mac community that thrives on Mac security often claiming, “No worms here.”
On the other end of the country in El Paso, TX, where disinformation takes awhile to roast, a survey of ten Mac users displayed exactly how vulnerable internet security is getting. Zero out of ten claimed to know they should get a new version of Skype to prevent this terrible hacking problem.
There’s been heavy reporting about internet security with Sony and El Paso responded. PS3 sales are still down. But for a lack of a Skype announcement on this security problem El Paso was left in the dark and very vulnerable.
- Skype Security Blog: Security Vulnerability in Mac Client Has Been Addressed (blogs.skype.com)
- A bug in Skype for Mac could give hackers root access to OS X (thenextweb.com)
- Skype for Mac Has Unpatched Security Flaw [ALERT] (fakeiitian.com)
- Skype for Mac Has Unpatched Security Flaw [ALERT] (mashable.com)
- Skype bug gives attackers root access to Mac OS X (theregister.co.uk)
- Skype to Fix Wormable Bug in Mac Software (pcworld.com)
- Skype’s Dangerous Exploit: What You Need to Know (pcworld.com)
- Expert: Skype for Mac hole can be used in remote attack (news.cnet.com)