Can you find a good watch for five dollars?
Mike Royko started this
Remember Mike Royko? He was a renown Chicago columnist. He had a wit about him. One day when Rupert Murdoch was buying the paper he was working at, he wrote that, “no self-respecting fish would wrap himself in a Murdock newspaper.”
He also used to cut down Rolex watches. These are luxury watches that cost a lot of money. Mike preferred to wear a forty dollar Timex watch instead. Not that he couldn’t afford a Rolex watch – he could. But he was practical and looked on a watch as something just to keep time.
But I ran into a problem with Mike Royko’s Timex solution.
Electric shaver problem
The same thing happened when I used to use electric shavers.
Let me explain!
My plan was to use an electric shaver and just replace the key part when it broke. And retailers would sell that part, which was cheaper than buying a new shaver. But after buying one or two replace parts during the shaver’s life, they drop the shaver model. They then sell a new model. The new model resembles the old one but with a different model number. Then you have to go through the purchase cycle all over again. So I switched to disposable razors.
Royko watch again
Now for the problem with Mike Royko’s Timex watch
The problem is that the band will wear out long before the watch does. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a stretch metal or leather one – they break. If I go back to a Walmart, Target or Meijer’s store, the watch sales person can’t put in a replacement band. And it’s hard to find a suitable replacement band there.
On the other hand, a professional jeweler will charge for labor. Their labor costs but the replacement band can run more than the watch originally cost.
But now I have found the perfect solution – I think!
Then I walked into a local dollar store named deals. This store chain is owned by Dollar Tree, whom I visit, along with Family Dollar and Dollar General store chains. I admit this says something about my frugality. And you find me buying private label brands at Walmart, Trader Joes and Aldis.
But there on a frontal display by the checkout counter, Deals was displaying watches for five dollars. I know I’m not supporting the buy USA movement, since they are made in China. But do they work? Let’s find out by buying one!
Now I meet my first problem. The watch loses a few minutes a day. But is it just a flaw with this particular watch? I need to buy a second watch and see if it has the same problem. Or it has different problems. After all, you need to really test a solution.
Link problem of the week
Reminds me of a problem this week.
Someone contacted me and asked to remove a link. The article was talking about the YouTube video on SpongeBob Squarepants in China. I mentioned some links to free SEO training. I can’t name the company, but will give you a hint: If you copy this paragraph into the Zemanta site (Zemanta website), click the demo tab and run it – then apply all recommended links – the one labeled SEO Training might point to the company in question. This would be a good test to see if this software works consistently.
I told the requester that the link was requested by the software Zemanta. I also mentioned that I was totally confused why the request was made, as it was a free inbound link to their website. This was also the only article I know that referenced their website. If they wished other links to be removed, they need to point the articles out to me.
Do they do any research and testing with SEO? Are they familiar with how Google and Bing give a website higher page rank, etc? And to top it off, this was the CEO of a website devoted to marketing professionals.
So back to the five dollar watches. They will solve my band problem, as I only pay five dollars to replace the whole unit. But I need to see if more than one watch runs slower than normal. Or if they will improve the quality over time – for a similar price.
Academic and business blog posts
Here are some blog posts I recommend from academic and business acquaintances of mine (including a cleaver entrepreneur short video):
- Tips for Dealing with Separation Anxiety in Children Blog post
- Tricks for Getting Dinner on the Table Faster Blog post
- How to Show Your Nanny Appreciation Without Spending a Dime Blog post
- 7 Ways To Get Better Sleep Without Drugs Blog post
- 7 Benefits of Teaching Your Teen to Drive Blog post
- 30 Killer Blogs Full of Snack Ideas for Kids Blog post
- 10 Things the NCAA Absolutely Must Change Blog post
- 5 Ways to Get Traffic without Paying Blog post
- 9 Ways Science Is Trying to Stop Death Blog post
- 7 Animals Who Are Almost Human Blog post
- 7 Smart Ways to Get Ahead at the Office Blog post
- 8 Life-Saving Tips for Driving in the Rain Blog post
- How to Teach Your Child to Tie Their Shoes Without Bunny Ears Blog post
- How to Childproof the Bathroom Blog post
- 7 Old Fashioned Outdoor Games Everyone Should Know Blog post
- 30 Blogs With Sample Nanny Interview Questions Blog post
- 10 Ways to Style Your Girl’s Long Hair Blog post
- 25 Tools That Take Tutoring To a New Level Blog post
- The 10 Best Blogs for Post-Pregnancy Weight Loss Blog post
- 11 Eye-Opening TED Talks on God & Religion Blog post
- 7 Nutrients You Aren’t Getting Enough Of Blog post
- 10 iPhone Applications that Parents Need for Date Nights Blog post
- The Top 25 Green Business Blogs Blog post
- Top 25 Education Activists in the U.S. Today Blog post
- 25 Tips to Make the Most of a MOOC Blog post
- The 50 Best Smartphone Apps for Back to School: The Teacher Edition Blog post
- 10 Refreshing and Simple to Make Drinks for Kids Blog post
- 10 Things Your Kids Can Do on a Rainy Day Blog post
- Life Insurance Options for Nannies Blog post
- 10 Professors Who Are Institutions At Their Schools Blog post
- All You Need to Know About NannyPalooza Blog post
- 8 Most Common Myths About Counseling Blog post
- 12 Mobile Apps That Grammar Geeks Just Love Blog post
- 7 Surprising Benefits of Drinking Alcohol Blog post
- Biggest Myths About Nanny Care Blog post
- How to Plant an Herb Box with Your Kids Blog post
- 50 Creative Ways to Use Skype in Your Classroom Blog post
- 10 Most Noteworthy Right-Wing Professors in America Blog post
- The 50 Best Smartphone Apps for Back to School: The Student Edition Blog post
- 15 Hidden Ways the Recession Is Shaping Us Blog post
- 10 Challenges for Nannies That Could be Olympic Events Blog post
- How to Start a Friendship Bread with Your Child Blog post
- 30 Blogs Parents Need for Payroll Advice Blog post
- 18 Big Ways Back to School Has Changed Blog post
- How to Sleep Train a Child Without Crying Blog post
- 60 Best Money-Saving Tips for this Back-to-School Season Blog post
- 6 Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms Blog post
- The 10 Best Colleges to Work For Blog post
- The 50 Essential Links for Brand New Moms Blog post
- 6 Tips for Surviving Your First College Party Blog post
- 7 Tips for Caring For a Loved One at Home Blog post
- 10 iPhone Applications for Early Childhood Educators Blog post
- 30 Blogs for Toddler Activity Ideas Blog post
- Top 10 Parent Concerns About Hiring a Nanny Blog post
- 10 States With the Worst STD Problems Blog post
- 6 Weird Superstitions Attached to Animals Blog post
- 50 Fabulous Pinterest Ideas for Your Home Office Blog post
- How to Make 5 Simple Entrees that Don’t Require the Oven Blog post
- 10 Careers That Nannies Easily Transition Into Blog post
- How Your Commute Affects Your Health Blog post
- 15 Books That Take American Education to Task Blog post
- 25 Surprising Stats to Share on Women’s Equality Day Blog post