Here’s what I did. The company videotapes university and high school lecture series. Normally they sell for a couple hundred. During the Thanksgiving black Friday weekend, I acquired two courses for $34.95. Bot consisted of 24 lectures about one hour each. Both got four out of five stars by user reviewers.
Anyway, the two courses I picked are:
There’s also insights into earning a living writing. Only a few hundred writers make it without other income sources. For example, we can find the professors works on her course page:
“Dr. Tilar J. Mazzeo is the Clara C. Piper Professor of English at Colby College in Maine and the New York Times best-selling author of The Widow Cliquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It and The Secret of Chanel No. 5: The Intimate History of the World’s Most Famous Perfume.”
Notice that she had a New York Times best seller. Yet she earns a full-time living teaching.
She also shares that working towards an English PhD is fruitful. It brings a seven-year stretch learning research – good for non-Fiction research.
You can earn a good living writing. I read a recent blog post entitled What I learned about writing during prescription drug withdrawal at prescription drug withdrawal. Here is what the author shared:
“This past year I earned over $85,000 working 20 hours per week or under (often much under) through writing articles, mentoring writers, and teaching e-courses. If it takes a little discomfort — or even a lot of discomfort — to get to the point where I can do what I love for a living and be able to home-school our son to boot, then bring it on.”
Yet this course is stocked full of good tips and advice. It’s well worth watching.
This course is Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation. It’s by Professor Mark W. Muesse, PhD. The professor does have good academic credentials. He does have a Harvard PhD. But the normal price for this course is $214.95.
Or you can go to Amazon and type in Mindfulness. There are many good books available.
But for $34.95, it was very worthwhile for me. But he threw too much Buddhism in. You can learn walking, sitting and loving kindness aspects without all the Buddhist overtures.
But you know what? The professor agrees with me. A video course is no substitute for a real live teacher. After all, you can’t ask questions in this particular video course
Academic and business blog posts
Here are some blog posts I recommend from academic and business acquaintances of mine
- 6 new year’s resolutions for kids Blog post
- All about baby gear industry alliance Blog post
- 30 blogs with the best housekeeping tips Blog post
- 30 blogs with reviews on the best restaurants on the east coast Blog post
- 30 blogs with great teacher holiday gift ideas Blog post
- 30 blogs with advice for planning the perfect vacation Blog post
- 30 blogs with the best ideas for organizing kids’ bedrooms Blog post
- 10 iphone apps to help you manage your nanny search Blog post
- 30 blogs with tips helping kids stay active Blog post
- 10 reasons kids should get involved with volunteer work Blog post
- 5 tips for celebrating the holidays with your live-in nanny Blog post
- 10 things to do with kids in Cleveland Ohio Blog post
- 30 blogs on preparing for childbirth Blog post
- 10 iphone apps for logging exercise Blog post
- How to talk to your nanny boss about job creep Blog post
- How to keep your kids germ free without being germ-phobic Blog post
- The importance of self-care for nannies Blog post
- How nannies can build a professional support system Blog post
- How to raise responsible kids Blog post
- 30 blogs on balancing work and family Blog post
- 30 blogs with the best tips for removing stains from kids clothes Blog post
- 30 blogs featuring handmade gift ideas Blog post
- 30 blogs full of valentine’s day crafts for kids Blog post
- How to plan weekly family dinners Blog post
- 10 things nannies should know about food sensitivities Blog post
- 30 blogs with sample wordings for invitations Blog post
- 5 reasons to play with your child more Blog post
- 30 blogs on keeping kids safe online Blog post
- 30 blogs on healthy living for kids Blog post
- How nannies can help kids succeed in school Blog post
- 10 iPhone apps that will help you manage your home Blog post
- Safety tips for nannies Blog post
- How to handle disappointment over a raise Blog post
- 30 blogs featuring tips to help achieve your new year’s resolution Blog post
- Pre-reading skills nannies can work on with kids Blog post
- 10 of the most important things to include in your nanny contract Blog post
- How to talk to kids about tragedy without saying too much Blog post
- Should I let my nanny bring her child to work with her? Blog post
- 30 blogs on how to handle difficult people Blog post
- How to choose a church for your family Blog post
- 30 blogs with sleep tips and tricks for moms Blog post