I usually conference with a couple of folks on Skype. I always try to have the latest application, production ready versions. I recently suggested to the other folks to check for the latest versions. A couple have Skype installed on an Apple machine. This prompted an email from one user:
I downloaded an update to skype but then I got the message: “Skype was unable to install the update because the old application can’t be overwritten.”
Do you have a suggestion?
A bit of research prompted a response:
I’m not an Apple expert. Let me Google the message and see what comes up.
When I Google the message and Mac, it takes me to some Skype community forums, like the one at Skype community forums. Apparently, the easiest solution is to unlock the Skype read and write permissions, like it says on the bottom answer. Alternatively, you can uninstall Skype and install the latest version. I’m not sure why this is an issue on Mac (and perhaps Linux). I never ran into this issue on Windows. Hope this helps.
I have installed Skype on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It’s one of the few versions Skype officially supports. The GUI is much more primitive and limited than the Windows GUI. Now I know why I have trouble with Skype tabs, when talking to Apple Skype users over the phone. The tab structure appears to different between the Skype Apple, Windows and Linux versions.
There is an article entitled Skype jumps the shark: Seven alternative VoIP services at Skype jumps the shark: Seven alternative services. It says, “Yes, it’s very popular, but it was always horribly out-dated on Linux and both its technology and security were, and still is, lousy.”
But it looks like Microsoft is targeting Apple’s high-end products. There’s an article entitled iPad Skype adds HD quality video call support to Apple . Another update is entitled Latest Skype Update Enables HD Video Calling On Apple iPad 4 Tablets HD Video Calling On Apple iPad 4 Tablets. It has this to say:
“Skype has this week released a new update for its iOS application which brings with it the addition of a new HD quality video call feature for use with Apple’s new and latest iPad 4 tablet.”
“The new update allows Apple iPad 4 owners to enjoy high definition video calls through the Skype application and is now available to download from the Apple iTunes App Store for free.”
So Skype will probably be relatively error free for Windows and high end Apple products. But it probability will not be on their high list of priorities for Linux and low-end Apple products.
I’m still a big Skype fan. And I’m a big fan of running dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu systems. Perhaps if Apple had stores less than 10 miles from where I live, I might jump on their bandwagon. Who knows what the future will bring?
- Apple iPad 4th Gen. w/ Retina Display 16GB WiFi (white or black) + free case $430 shipped (Reg. $500) (9to5toys.com)
- Skype update brings HD video calls to the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 (imore.com)
- All you want to know about iPad 5 (thenewstribe.com)
- Skype update for iPad and iPhone brings HD video support (tuaw.com)
- 720p HD Calling Comes to Apple iPhone 5 and iPad 4 With Latest Skype Update (trutower.com)
- Skype sees the bigger picture with two-way video calling (epiphanysearch.co.uk)
- Skype update brings HD video calls to fourth-generation iPads (engadget.com)
- Skype Goes HD: High Definition Video Chatting Enabled on the iPad [VIDEO] (designntrend.com)
- Microsoft Releases New Surface Vs iPad Commercial, Mentions New Reduced Price Of Surface (microsoft-news.com)
- Microsoft updates Skype with HD for iPhone 5 and iPad 4, adds mobile BI app (techhive.com)